The first Silver Strand “Books in the Afternoon” book club met at Nora Nicosia’s house on Tuesday November 14th. It was a lively, successful first meeting. This fun, never-at-a-loss-for-words group decided to:
· Keep it casual–comfy clothes encouraged
· Stay with small snacks so that it will be easy to host
· Focus on fiction
· Meet every other month
· Meet on Tuesdays at 2 pm and discuss at the meeting if there is a better day and time for everyone
· Give early notice of next book
· Vote on a group rating for the book we discussed
· Collect and post names of books that attendees have read recently that others may enjoy.
Our first book was the current best seller Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng. We had a lively discussion on secrets, family dynamics, planned communities, adoption, how we relate to characters in book, and other topics. We rated the book 3.5 out of 5. (We’re tough. You have to be Hemingway’s best book to get a 5.)
Our next “Books in the Afternoon” will be Tuesday, January 23rd at 2 pm. Save the date. Location will be announced. The book selected Beartown by Fredrik Backman which has received great reviews. The author also wrote A Man Called Ove (also a recommended Netflix movie.)
The group is so casual that we voted “no photo” so you’ll have to imagine a small, lively group of your neighbors enjoying a great discussion of an interesting book.
If you are interested in joining, please contact Nora Nicosia at email@example.com or Clarissa Cervantes at firstname.lastname@example.org.